Sunday, July 1, 2007

Wiccan Rede versus Teachings of Jesus

Had an interesting question come up this week on a yahoo list I'm part of. Someone asked how to combine the Wiccan "rule" of "An it harm none, do what you will," with the "rules" Jesus gave as to how we should live. Here's my response. I'd love your thoughts!

I look at the first part of the phrase ("An it harm none") and wonder. What won't harm someone? All of our actions have repercussions. We may not see them or know them for a very long time. I'm reminded of those stories where one persons actions (helping a boy with his books, or writing a list of what you like about your classmates) has major effects on the life of another (not committing suicide or making the kids feel they're worth something to others). Isn't that called the "Butterfly Effect?"

Our actions, however small and insignificant they may be to US, have the potential to help or harm many others. So, while the Wiccan tenet is to do whatever as long as it harms none, I believe that by following Jesus's teachings also, we have a better understanding of what *exactly* will harm none.

Just my 2 cents!

No comments: