Sunday, August 12, 2007

God/Goddess -vs- Lord/Lady

I've been having trouble with the God/Goddess desingation. I was raised to believe there is one true God, so how can there be lesser gods? After much thought, I think I've finally come to terms with it.

Let's take the "one God" idea first. OK, so the commandment says "You shall have no other gods before me" (Exodus 20:3 & Deuteronomy 5:7). Does that mean there are no other gods? I don't think so. Today we take that line to mean that we shouldn't put work or money before God. But what if it means that there are other GODS and that the God of King David is the TRUE GOD? The HEAD GOD and we should remember that? Doesn't that seem more reasonable then a bunch of Egyptian slaves valued work more than worship?

Ok, so I got that line out of the way. Now where does that leave those lesser gods? I have decided to call them Lords and Ladies. I can't bring myself to call them God. I think there is ONE worthy of that title. The Divine. The Head God, so to speak. I have no problems asking a Saint or Angel for assistance, and I believe that the lesser Gods and Goddesses are helpers in that same way, but I can't bring myself to call on Goddess Frigg! I can, however, ask Lady Frigg for assistance!

I realize that it's a matter of symantics. What meaning do I give to the word Goddess? What meaning do I give to the word Lady? I also know that the Divine knows my heart, my intentions. By using Lord and Lady for the lesser Gods and Goddesses, I'm still giving them the respect for what is within their authority, while at the same time giving the Divine all the credit, respect and admiration of the one in charge.

No comments: