Monday, January 12, 2009

Lesson 3: The Celtic Warrior

1. Define "warrior".
A warrior is someone who has the ability to stand up for what is right -- either for defense of something or to change something -- and does it. The manner of "fighting," though, can take many forms and isn't limited to physical conflict.

2. What do you understand to be the role of a warrior in Celtic society? What about female warriors?
Warriors in Celtic society, as in any other society, are responsible to defend society. In the United States, part of the oath servicemembers take says something like "defend against all enemies, foreign and domestic." That, to me, is the role of a warrior in any society. I also believe that females were not just limited to the home-front since there are warrior Goddesses and legends about women fighting. All legends and myths have some basis in truth.

3. What is yor preception of a warrori woman?
I think it takes more "guts" to be a women warrior because current society seems to think women should not be activists of any sort. Society assumes that a passionate woman is either PMSing or being too emotional.

4. How does the warrior aspect of yourself fit in with other expressions of your Celtic Paganism?
Since I feel that all members of society are to show some "warrior aspects," I look at it as just another role I occasionally need to take on. I believe that if I see a wrong -- and I have the means to prevent it or change it -- I am required to do so. While that may not be a popular belief, it's one that I personally wish more people held.

5. Do you feel it is necessary to be a warrior to be involved with Celtic woman's spirituality? Why or why not?
Yes, I believe it's important to be able to stand up (and fight) for your beliefs. I believe that it's necessary to be a warrior to be a complete human.

6. Have you ever felt like a warrior in your life? If so, when?
I spent seven years as active-duty military. You don't get much more "Warrior" then that. That experience aside, I have fought for my daughter when her biological father and I were going through a divorce. In fact, fighting for any member of my family isn't unusual.

7. Have you ever felt that using your warrior self was not the feminine thing to do? When and why?
No, not really. I believe that it is every person's responsibility to stand up for what is right and to change what is wrong.

8. Do you allow others to control you too often, or do you often contorl others? How would your warrior self affect these spects, both positively and negatively?
I'm not sure. I think I am usually level-headed enough to hear various sides of the story before I rush to change things. I'm also a planner, so I try to think things through. In my opinion, both of those are important "warrior" qualities. There's never been a successful general who didn't listen to his advisors.

9. Do you use common sense in your daily life, or do you rely too often on only magickal protections?
I believe I use much more common sense then I do magick. I usually think of magick as a last resort when all my other ideas have failed.

10. Who relies on your protection and good judgement?
For starters, I have a 15 year-old daughter and a 21-year-old step-daughter. My husband has had multiple back surgeries and his on disability. All three of them depend on me in some respect. I'm also active in some service organizations (and by active, I mean on the "board of directors"), so the membership of those groups, as well as the people that board supports, are dependent on my judgement. In the work-place, my clients depend on me to steer them in the right direction since most of them have little to no web building or internet marketing experience. Finally, I suppose anyone who comes to me with a problem and asks my advice would depend on my good judgement. (OH, I have three cats and three dogs who obviously depend on me for protection and, while they may not be who you intended with this question, it doesn't change the answer!)

No comments: