Monday, June 25, 2007

The Goddess Lofn

In Norse myth, Lofn is the goddess of forbidden love.

According to www.pantheon.org, "she smiles upon illicit unions." This was explained better by Dickenson College, where they wrote the following. "Lofn was the giver of permission. She was a goddess of the Aesir. She was often invoked to grant consent for banned couplings to join in matrimony. This authority was given to her by Odin and Frigg. Lofn's authorization cleared away barriers that would otherwise prevent lovers from staying together. Lofn is said to be a mild and gentle woman in nature." (http://users.dickinson.edu/~eddyb/mythology/Lofn.html)

With her colors being Red and White, and a symbol of rings, she obviously was the inspiration for some St. Valentine's Day traditions.

Lofn, Mighty Goddess of lust,
I call upon you and pledge my trust,
To bring me closer to my heart's desire,
And quench my thirst with burning fire.

No comments: