Thursday, May 3, 2007

The Goddess Blodeuwedd

Blodeuwedd meant more to me than Epona. She was created in love out of flowers. How beautiful is that?

According to findagoddess.com, Blodeuwedd is the maiden, and helps with charity, hope, beauty, and relationships. The part of her story, though, that intregues me is the end. She married Llew Llaw Gyffes and then betrayed him. Had him killed, even! Why? Was it because she didn't have a soul? Because she wasn't human? Or was she protesting the place of women in society as Karen Davis suggests (http://www.pantheon.org/articles/b/blodeuwedd.html)?

In any case, because of her betrayal, Blodeuwedd was transformed into an owl. How fitting! Because of her betrayal (a position all people have the capacity to find themselves in!), she becomes a wise but solitary animal. She becomes a bird of prey.

I think there is a lesson in Blodeuwedd's story. Love and betrayal may be flip sides of the same coin. It isn't as far a leap as we humans wish it were.

I call upon your wisdom, Oh Blodeuwedd. Love and betrayal are so interconnected in ways we may never see. I ask that you show me where I may be flirting with betrayal against the ones I love. Let me learn from your mistakes, Goddess. Let me live in love. This is my wish, so mote it be.

No comments: