Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Goddess Morrigan

It occurs to me that Morrigan is a passionate Goddess. War, death, prophecy, magic, and love are all in her realm. Celtic Magic by D.J. Conway also lists her as the Goddess of dark magic and revenge. Findagoddess.com also lists shamanism and protection as her areas of expertise. Her symbol is a hag poppet and her totem is a raven.

There is a line at the Magical Circle School site that really sums Morrigan up well. "Her personality is associated with the sometimes frightening aspects of female energy." Morrigan is the original strong woman. She is what we think of a a powerful Goddess, but also a powerful person. She can stand up for herself and takes the time to do what needs to be done. Interestingly enough, she has spanned many cultures and times with her various names and association to the King Arthur legends.

I'm drawn to Morrigan's strength. I like her "take no crap" attitude. I plan to call on her for protection when I need it, using the following chant.

Protection from harm is what I ask,
Morrigan, please accept this as your task.

No comments: